Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Bath Time

I always sit in the bathroom while Lily is taking a bath. Every once in a while I may run out really quick to grab my phone or a towel or something but never for more than a second or two. And recently I have been cleaning other parts of the bathroom while she is in there (you know, the whole two birds with one stone thing). Last night all of her bedding had been washed (don't ask) so while she was in the bath instead of sitting with her, I decided to put her all her bedding back together in her room. Now that I am writing it, it really sounds like no big deal but it kinda was. She did a great job- I just came back in when it was time to wash her hair and to help her get out of the tub.

Today I went online to see if there were any kind of guidelines for having kids bathe on their own...and apparently all kinds of kids her age shower (alone!) and even shampoo their own hair. Not all of them for sure- but Lily wouldn't even know what to do in a shower all by herself.

Have I been too much of a helicopter parent and I didn't even know it??? I've been sitting with her and helping her in the bath tub for so long it never even occured to me that it might be ok to leave her alone in there already- and to let her do it. She just seems so tiny to me still- like when I picture her trying to wash her hair in the shower it seems silly 'cause she's just my little baby...but I guess she's really not.

Any thoughts on helping her transition from Mommy washing her in the bath to taking showers on her own??? I think I am still in shock.

On the other hand. The bath thing still works for us. Maybe I should just wait until it doesn't work for her anymore.

3 comments:

  1. don't worry be happy she will in due time. dont make her grow up to fast, showering is something she has to decided to do, same with a little girl i used to know. 143

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let my boys hang around in the shower for a few minutes, sometimes I step out of the bathroom while they do that. I also let them bring in a few toys too, so the shower is still a little fun like baths. It's just enough time to get them soaked but not waste too much water. I still soap and shampoo them up and then let them rinse off on their own. This way you still can make sure she's clean, but she still is a little independent. Showers are easy and quick, but it's definitely not as fun as bath time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my parents transitioning us with short baths and then we would rinse the soap off with the handheld shower thing. That was great fun! It might be a good way to get her excited about it. Of course you'll need that type of shower head first...

    ReplyDelete