Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

All Tied Up

I took one look at the shoes and said there was no way. There was no way I was going to be responsible for tying her shoes every day. No way would I watch her trip over constantly untied laces. I didn’t want to deal with her inevitable frustration with learning how to tie the shoes. I really didn’t want to deal with any of it.  

It took me a couple minutes to realize though that my line of reasoning didn’t really add up- that my need to keep things simple just wasn’t fair (or conducive) to her attempt at growth.  It wasn’t fair not to at least give her a chance.

So I said yes and we came home with a brand new pair of sneakers with shoelaces.  She was ecstatic and determined. I only had to remind her once as she was practicing to not give up and just keep trying.  By the tenth try she had it down. 

Wow. I couldn’t believe it. No fits, no whining just perfectly tied laces and a grin from ear to ear. I’m so proud of that girl. And I am reminded nearly every day how much I still have to learn about this whole parenting thing.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment