Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Who do you want to be?

Lily was so excited to show me the newly refurbished Fire Engine in her Gym play area yesterday. Over spring break a few kids and some firefighters gave it an over all face lift. They painted the wood and recovered the seat. They added a hose and reel and fixed some of the broken dials.

I would say seven out of ten days when I pick her up she is in the middle of pretend driving in the fire engine but it wasn't until yesterday that I really associated any meaning with it. She described to me the video she got to watch that documented the fix up and explained in detail all of the things they fixed. Then she proudly stated, "When I grow up I want to be a fire-girl." 

Of course I was very interested to hear her thought process in this scenario and I asked what she thought about being a firefighter was the most interesting- or what was the reason this is something she would want to do. Her answer was surprising.

"I want to put out fires and save people!"

This was the first time I had ever heard her express in words a desire to "be something." Really the first time I've noticed her wondering about her future- seeing herself as a person who will one day do something. Although, what surprised me the most is how these ideas change my perception of her. I think of her as my little baby- someone who needs to be protected. In her mind, though, she has the ability to put out fires and save people!

Well, to say the least, I am humbled and I fear I have not given her enough credit for how amazing of a person she is turning out to be.

Maybe she won't really grow up to be a firefighter but I am simply inspired by the fact that she knows she could.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! And I love your last comment of being inspried just because she knows she could! I'm a struggling college student, blogging about living on an EXTREMELY tight budget, but someday I hope to be as lucky as you! Great post!

    www.marleeindebt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't kids amazing all the time? How gorgeous that she wants to do something so community minded.

    ReplyDelete