Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The trouble with Escalators

"Mommy!" Lily yelled, her face blanched and eyes wide with fear.

I turned and immediately realized she hadn't stepped on the escalator with me. At the last second she got scared. My first instinct was to run back up the downward travelling stairs but dismissed it knowing I was already holding Kendra's hand, didn't want to leave her alone and didn't want to hurt myself trying to go the wrong way back up.

"Lily, look at me. Stay there. Don't move. I will come back up for you. Just wait."

I could see the indecision in her face- deciding to listen and stay, even though she was scared. Or look her fear in the eye but also disobey. "Mommy!" She yelled again. I just hoped she stayed.

"Don't worry. I will be right up. Just wait." I rode down the escalator backwards- facing her- making sure my eyes didn't leave her for a second. All I could think was how quickly could I get back up there and still not take my eyes away. All the possible things that could go wrong- every possible scenario- ran through my mind in a flash.

Just like that though, another Mom walked up behind her and asked if she could help. I, of course, said yes. Lily took the lady's hand, rode down quietly and we reunited at the bottom only seconds later. The whole incident was over in less than a minute. And minutes later she seemed only minorly traumatized. I, on the other hand, won't forget the look on her face- or forget to grab her hand the next time we decide to brave the escalator.

Martin caught us being silly getting ready for bed over the weekend (I'm the one giving the bunny ears!)


No comments:

Post a Comment