Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Menus and Messiness

On Monday's Menu we had...

Breakfast: Heart Shaped Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese frosting, banana slices and milk (recipe from pinch my salt)
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich, apple slices, cheese sticks, pretzels, carrot sticks, yogurt and fruit juice.

Breakfast was a hit (how can you miss with cinnamon rolls???)

Lunch??? Well, we've learned a few lessons already.

Problem 1: I was scared that Lily was going to throw out her spoon/plastic Tupperware so I told her to just leave the garbage in her lunch pail and we'd take care of it when we got home.

Consequence: She didn't finish her yogurt or juice drink so when I opened her lunch pail after school there was a sea of juice/yogurt floating around all over everything. Why didn't she eat the yogurt? She said she ran out of time. Why didn't she drink the juice? No idea.

Solution: This morning I made it more clear about what could and couldn't be thrown away. She was very upset that I was asking her to throw away her uneaten juice and yogurt- she wanted to save it (girl after my own heart I tell you!). So my next mission is reusable yogurt and drink containers. I don't mind because it will be a little less wasteful of food and a little less garbage produced.

Problem 2: I packed too much of just about everything- she only completely finished her sandwich (yeah!) but only ate some of all the rest.

Consequence: Lots of left over food/messiness. Actually a little left over is a perfect snack for the ride home so leftover food wouldn't have been a big deal if it weren't covered in yogurt juice.

Solution: Smaller portions but still lots of choices

Problem 3: Her little backpack with her name on it from Gramma Barb is too small to fit the lunch pail. She has two classrooms at the new school- preschool for the morning part and more "daycare" type class in the afternoon- so she has to be able to bring her stuff with her between the classes.

Consequence: Last night when I picked her up her coat, backpack and lunch were in three different places. And, honestly, there are going to be days when I have no idea what she brought or wore that day. I won't be able to keep track of it all- I am sure of it. We're just asking to lose stuff.

Solution: My second mission is to find a backpack that is a little bit bigger. Hopefully we can find on that everything will fit in but that won't break her back either. This could be tough. She's still just so little : (

Other than that I think it was an overall successful first try.

Breakfast today? Left over cinnamon rolls of course!













Lunch menu: Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, Fruit Roll up, banana slices, celery sticks, graham crackers, yogurt and fruit juice.
 
My prediction? I think (I hope) better than yesterday! I think she won't eat the celery but I just had to try some veges. That is going to be a difficult part I think. Also too many graham crackers now that I think about it. Fruit Roll up- totally unnecessary but it kinda helped stabilize the sandwich in its compartment. And I know this lunch pail is getting seriously jostled around.

On another note, Miss Fiona apparently had a rockin' good time with her scratch thingy last night. Pieces EVERYWHERE!! I will be vacuuming tiny cardboard pieces for the rest of my life. No really. FOREVER!

I tried to kinda put it back together this morning before we left- and she just went right back to it- literally tearing the thing apart with her teeth like she had just hunted down her kill. Such a sweet (feisty) little lion!


No comments:

Post a Comment